Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sitting in a tree

One day in third grade, we took a short reading break. I sat on the floor in the back of the classroom and read my book silently. Adam kept pestering me, telling me I wasn't really reading because I wasn't saying the words outloud. I tried to ignore him but eventually I became too annoyed to concentrate on my book, so I said something sharply and to the effect that he was an idiot and I was reading my book to myself. I never like to be interrupted while reading. Boys never liked me very much in school. I think it was because I was a little mean to them. In kindergarten, while standing outside against the cafeteria wall after lunch Derrick ran up to me and kissed my cheek. I immediately ran and told the teacher on him. I was horrified and she laughed at me. On the playground we had something like a tree house. There were cracks in the slatted wood floor. I would shoo away all the boys who might be standing underneath looking up my skirt. Recess time meant me against the boys. I didn't laugh if they told a joke that I thought was dumb. I didn't want to hold hands or play coy. I still don't laugh at stupid jokes, but mostly I wonder what the hell happened to me? Ha!

No comments: