Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thank you



marj is a regular at the library where i work. she lives in an apartment complex across the street. her husband used to come in on a regular basis before his passing last march. he would read the papers and talk about the stock market and the price of gas, how to save money and the environment. he was a runner and loved to race. marj would come in front time to time to read the paper or newsweek. we never spoke much, marj and i. she started coming in almost every day, monday-friday last summer. she started using the computer. her kids helped her set up an email account and showed her a few computer basics. when she comes across something new or unknown she asks me for help. she tells me about her bingo winnings and how she gives the proceeds to the food pantry. "50cents...$2..." she says "it adds up." today she walked into the library, stood in front of my desk and reached into her pocket. "I have something for you!" she said. pulling out an envelope and opening it it to show me what was inside, she said "it's just a little treat, they were giving them away at bingo and i thought 'i know just who to give this to.'" she gave me the little cup with red and white m&m's and a dove milk chocolate heart and i said "thank you" about a dozen times... but it doesn't feel like i could ever say thank you enough to express my gratitude towards marj, her thoughtful gesture and how it made me smile.

No comments: