Wednesday, February 24, 2010

95

Marj came into the library where I work on Monday. She couldn't wait to tell me the latest news on her sister. Before she could shimmy out of her full length thrifted turquoise coat she started filling me in on her sister's 95th birthday which took place the previous weekend in Florida. At the age of 95 her sister still enjoys an active outdoors lifestyle. Marj tells me that her sister isn't able to walk very well on account of arthritis, but she can still hold an oar and paddle. For her birthday, she went on a 25 mile kayak trip. The trip was interrupted when her kayak tipped, spilling her into freezing water. It was 40 degrees when she stood shivering on the shore. She told Marj, "It was the perfect birthday." Marj smiled, shook her small fists in the air and said "My sister's a fighter, even at 95. There are young people who can't even do what she did." She was proud.

No comments: