Monday, August 3, 2009

Squirrel

There is this squirrel that lives in my backyard. This squirrel is well fed and plucky. One day I saw him munching away on what looked like a baguette. He eyed me cautiously, protecting his french cuisine. This same squirrel likes to dig up my potted plants on my balcony. Most recently he knocked over and broke one of my planters. He sits on the roof in front of my kitchen window and chirps like a mad man off his meds, probably making rude remarks to female squirrels skirting the tree branches below. This squirrel is a bit of a nuisance in the neighborhood. My landlord haphazardly mentioned that he was trying to trap a squirrel. "I KNOW THAT SQUIRREL" I proclaimed. He hides in a little hole next to the garage. The trap laced with a slice of poisoned cheese tied with a string to a nut, is placed next to my bike. Whenever I get my bike out of the garage I inevitably trigger the trap. Yesterday, I was moving my bike out of the garage and I heard the familiar "chirp chirp chirp" and rustle of leaves above me. There he was, the fat squirrel in a tree, twitching his tail and either cursing or laughing at me. I stood still and we remained like that for a while, sizing up the other. I think he knows what the trap is and isn't falling for the nut/cheese ploy. He's a crafty creature though I wish him no harm, but I do wish he would stop digging up my plants and to be quite honest I'm a little afraid he's going to attack me. When we were staring at each other I saw a glint in his eyes, not like any other squirrel.

No comments: