Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Winter weather


Since last spring I've dreaded the coming winter. Maybe I secretly hoped that my dread and anxiety would somehow psychically postpone the inevitable. I suppose that's called wishful thinking, and that usually never works out quite like one hopes. Winter is here now and I've made a little peace with the cold, snow and early evenings. I've been thinking of this season as if it were an adventure rather than weather patterns caused by the tilt of the earth's axis. Everything is a challenge; from backing out of the driveway, to walking on sidewalks and finding my warm gloves. Of course it isn't climbing Everest or walking on the moon but the adventure is found in these small challenges. Everyday is an exercise in preparedness for the next big snowfall or ice storm. I think I thrive on the challenge. The more difficult it is to get to work in the morning, the more I want to get to work even though everyone else has taken a snow day and stayed home. Still, in the middle of the constant planning and problem solving I have to remember that I can't control the inevitable and while it's good to be prepared, it's also good (and safer) sometimes to just sit quietly and watch the world fall silent under the falling snow.

No comments: