Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Runners high?


photo by kalle61m

I may have recently discovered endorphins. I've always heard about the "runners high," but other than just enjoying running I had yet to experience the rush of endorphins that comes along with it... until recently. I've started running 5 miles. In the last mile I start to feel the rush. I'm a little skeptical though because a part of me thinks that maybe I'm just ecstatic about reaching 5 miles, reaching the end and pushing myself. But then something else happens. I don't just feel good during that last mile. I feel good for rest of the day. "Good" is an understatement. I feel like I'm walking on air (excuse the cliche), like I just found out ice cream is the most nutritious thing you can eat, like I just got a new puppy and we're frolicking with butterflies in a sunlit field, like I'm laying on my back in said field listening to the wind rustling the tall grass. There's more but I've probably made my point. It's winter here now. The first snowstorm of the year hit last night and it's still snowing outside. Normally this would have me pretty down, but riding the bus on my way to work - then walking in the snow, I find myself smiling at the smallest things. My corners of my mouth curve into a natural frown and usually this is my expression for most of the day. Running 5 miles is new to me and smiling so much (and randomly) is too. For that, I guess I'll have to make the call. It must be endorphins. They're ok.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wait until you really get addicted and start running races. They give you medals when you finish and everyone around is on a runners high too. I love it! Yay for endorphins!