Monday, March 29, 2010


Blood runs wild without need for the heart. Free at sunset, dead at dawn. Men on horses chase me in the meadow. Two of them send me stampeding off the cliff. See me raining, dampening the red earth below. See their pleased expressions now that they've killed the untamed intruder passing through their land. Now I am sinking below them, seeping red on their hands.

When I am reborn, shape me in stone. Slickrock footpaths will trace my neck to the small of my back, tiny vertebrates will burrow in my rib cage, hollowing my bones. Sand will swirl on my surface and glitter in my wake. I will lay still as the surest stepping stone, collecting water in small potholes, gathering life in the cracks and folds. Changing and unchanged. Made new by erosion, made whole.

*written 2008, photo taken in moab, utah 2000

No comments: