Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pura vida!



It was probably hour 20 of nonstop travel when the realization came to me. After spending the night on a bench in the Chicago airport, catching two flights on maybe two hours of sleep and then being spit out in San Jose with only a vague idea of how to get down to the Caribbean coast from the middle of Costa Rica, taking a taxi to a nondescript bus station, asking for help, grabbing another taxi to another bus station, asking for help, 4 hour bus ride, then another taxi... it occurred to me that I am a very calm, patient and optimistic person... at least when it comes to traveling. I have this irrepressible attitude that everything will work out and be okay... To be honest, I wasn´t really sure that I would make it here at least in one try. I was exhausted, dirty and smelly. But I was alive. I made it and everything worked out! Now I think I want to try to have this approach in other areas of my life.

Riding bicycles on dirt roads with giant potholes. Early morning ocean swims. Petting lots of sweet dogs and watching hummingbirds and giant butterflies. I have come to the land of giant ferns. I love it here.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Jonanna! You're in Costa Rica?? You probably needed to take me with you to translate. What's the occasion? Who are you with?