Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Potential

Why do I feel that every time someone looks at me, speaks to me, gets to know me... they only see potential. Having potential seems like it wouldn't be an entirely undesirable image to project, however I think it might be nice to be seen (and possibly appreciated) just as I am. Isn't that my best? I would rather be the diamond than the diamond in the rough. Though I know I am in a constant state of flux. Growing, regressing, learning, losing, remembering and forgetting. I often find myself to be the recipient of unsolicited words of encouragement. Maybe this is an image I project? Do I have some woeful quality about me, some desperatly needy look in my eyes that begs affirmation? It isn't that I'm ungrateful for praise and encouragement. I find it flattering and motivating, aligned with intentions. Everyone's worst fear is the "life half lived." I think potential is dangerous... like hope.

No comments: