Friday, July 31, 2009

Duck


I walked to the park yesterday. On my way I stopped and bought some rice pudding which is probably my second new favorite dessert (just under sweet sticky rice with mango). I walked to the park listening to Pema Chodron's, Awakening Compassion. I like what she is saying but I really enjoy listening to her voice. She has a very wise and soothing voice, like a mother... comforting and safe. I walked and appreciated the flowers in people's gardens and the cool fresh air of the late afternoon breeze. At the park, I found a nice spot on the grass in front of the lake. As soon as I sat down a little duck waddled straight up to me. This duck had a purpose, and I really think this purpose involved more than begging for food crumbs. After approaching me, the duck stood about two feet away and stared at me for a while. Then circled me, stood and stared some more, and then walked back down to the water. This was repeated several times. The duck was so close I could have reached out and stroked his feathers if I had wanted to, but I didn't want to scare him away. I enjoyed our quiet and coy exchanged. People passing on the trail in front of us smiled and made a few comments, seeming to enjoying the sight of a girl sitting with a duck. My friend told me that in ancient times the greeks believed that the gods would visit them taking on animal form. I wonder what god this duck happened to be.

No comments: