Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Polaroid

...We are so close to the water. She takes off her shoes, places them neatly beside her. The dress she is wearing bunches at her thighs as she draws her knees close to her chest. She is quiet and so we sit in silence watching the current rush through the narrows then slowing where the path widens. I close my eyes, and I almost feel alone if it wasn’t for my arm brushing against her arm. I hear her body slide along the gritty rock surface. Squinting my eyes open I see her inching into the water where it settles just above her knees. She gathers folds of fabric, holding the dress to her waist. A small piece of dress escapes her grip and dips into the water. Tiny flowers soak through and turn translucent. When she moves, the wet fabric clings to her thigh leaving tiny flowers imprinted on her skin. She stands still, letting the current influence a slight sway. She stands with her back to me for what seems like a long time. A few strands of hair lift in the breeze. She stands in the water up to her knees like she is standing in a field of gold she has unexpectedly discovered. Shape-shifting light reflects on her skin from the water’s surface, pools of melting precious metal.

No comments: